Monday 16 November 2009

Under-Coloured Wallpaper...

... too print onto.

So... my next problem was wanting to create a coloured wallpaper to print on top of. I could have possibly just bought coloured rolls of wallpaper. BUT the cost would be a ridiculous amount. I'm looking at traditional print techniques so why use the easy way out!

I spoke to Mick and Neil about it, as originally I thought the way to do it would be to print an A3 piece of paper, all printed black though. Then to put this on a screen and try to line it up perfectly as I repeat it. Having spoken to Neil about it, he explained that its a real effort not to accidentally overlap the under-colour you're printing, then for it to go a different shade in that tiny strip. Also if you don't line it up perfectly then you can also have a little white gap, which would look equally as bad.

Neil suggested that I try and dye the wallpaper in trays of ink and water...

Mixing the ink in the bucket and what colour I would end up with purely guess work, but so was the whole process! To begin with I didn't think it was taking to the paper. But leaving it for an hour, it began to look pinker, I couldn't leave it over night as the paper would have probably soaked so much it would have disintegrated.

I put a big sheet of my wallpaper in and also a piece of cartilage paper to see how it soaked to both papers. It didn't take to the cartilage paper well at all, but when I pulled the wallpaper from the water and blotted it, it was clear that it had gone a light pink, which is what I wanted.


Although I was happy with how stong the pink was in the end, Sarah at the print room suggested that I try it using an air brush technique.

No comments: