Friday 6 November 2009

Theme.

GAH. This has felt like the 'be all and end all' for me these past few days. With all the print techniques that I need to explore done. I now plan to design wallpapers/a collection with a running theme, then to create a few mocks and THEN to print my finals traditionally and digitally.

I really had not thought about how hard it was going to be to come up with theme, and so have had a few chats with Nick and Christian over my frustration. I am very indecisive and so I don't think any subject I come up with will feel totally 'right'. 
Although final pieces and context don't matter TOO much, I think everybody in my group feels as though they want to produce work thats worthy to go into our portfolios.

A couple of ideas I had were...
- 'Historical Fashion', taking pattern design ideas from 50's fashion and interiors. I got out a couple of books to read.

- 'Historical', I really enjoyed visiting temple Newsam, looking at the textile collection and the historical side of it is something I'm interested in, so possibly taking these old designs/textile swatches, and making them my own whilst giving them a more contemporary feel.

- 'Doll culture', looking back at my final major project subject and creating wallpapers with this subject. However I feel as though it would be stupid to go back to something.

Plan B was to either go into the library and take a random book out taking my subject from that or as christian suggested pick a random word/s from the dictionary and creating a theme from it?

BUT ...I think I'm decided on a historical fashion/textiles theme, loosely tied together by thte fashion of an era or a couple? It seems appropriate as I have already been looking at drawing from textiles.


I've got a couple more 'wallpaper' books out for inspirtation...
Here is one...

 This book has infact got some wallpapers from Temple Newsam in it! As you can see below...



No comments: