Monday 2 November 2009

FLOCK.

Today I prepared my screen for flock and foils, then to screenprint my images onto various bits of chosen paper I bought, to see what different effects I could achieve.
To apply the images to the screen, your images have to be on acetate these are the two designs...(which I have used throughout)...



You screenprint a flocking glue to apply flock to any material and a Foils glue to any material for foiling. The first time I managed to use the flock glue for everything meaning that the foils just didn't work... DUH.
Time and temperature for flock is: A temperature of 170degrees and a time of 20 seconds in the heat press. I did it on different papers including the paper which i made. The scan below has had the colour contrast changed in photoshop, i did this because you can't really see the white flock on the grey newsprint(made paper)... and then decided that the image below looked really pretty nice and rustic!

This is white flock on grey, it is unclear to see... but gives the colours go together to give a delicate and gentle feel. I don't know whether i want my wallpapers to be bold or soft like these colours?
This is the maroon colour, which is really quite beautiful! ...onto paper i made. The difference in printing flock onto the made paper rather than flush paper, was the fact that applying the flock onto made paper meant that the flock glue-(leading to the actual flock that's applied) spread further as the paper is quite lumpy and not flush and even. This means that up close, bits of the lettering weren't crisp and looked smudged!
My own paper is probably not appropriate to use as wallpaper especially with flock, the image doesn't look as clean as wallpaper i've been looking at for research.




Some interesting images came form the negative of the flock. I've had to put them all through photoshop to really show up the flock taken away. As I said before, using the negatives of the flock is a possible way of printing an image for a wallpaper?



You can see the difference in the image above and below. The one that looks smudged is the one that I used on my made paper.

The image below is actually white flock but shows up yellow after being through photoshop. You can see that the where the flocks been taken away the page almost looks embossed?

No comments: