Wednesday 5 May 2010

Artists Research, dealing with pattern...

I need some inspiration and a fresh outlook at repeat pattern!
So... here's a quick look into some artists who deal with pattern that I've been looking into...

This is a webpage full of lots of pattern, there are only a couple which I particularly like though, they are:

Julia Rothman - http://www.juliarothman.com/ (nice website)
Julia Rothman, situated in Brooklyn, New York, her work has a simplistic, hand-drawn style, which is what I would like to portray in my work a little, although this seems quite hard to do, and keep it looking clean at the same time...although doing a piece which is completely hand drawn pattern gets me excited and was an idea I was going to try before. I particularly like the merky brown colour of the piece below and also the line work in amongst the houses...


I really like the design below, although it looks very graphicy, I think im a sucka for polka dot and also I really like the way they've used colour and also the idea of making the bear appear every so often...



She works with interlocking objects in some of her work, this is really interesting and makes me wonder how you would go about repeating something as intricate as that without hand drawing it all!





No comments: