Wednesday 14 October 2009

Taking a step back..

I'm still busy exploring the different print techniques available in the print rooms, however I took time out this weekend to have fun going back to basics and experimenting with print techniques available to everyone in their own homes.

Potato Printing




Like the idiot I am, i forgot that i needed to reverse the type to get it forwards! (It was a long night) and so my print all came out backwards. I took some photos of them in a mirror, to see what the print style was like. It gave me the idea of possibly doing a piece of work that is purposely backwards though!





From doing lino and mono-print at some stage and being aware of how wood-cut works, we can see using the potato as just an everyday object lying about the home that can be used in the same way but that will perish. In the same way that lino and wood-cut work, using a potato is still building or taking away bits of a surface to imprint an image. Although this way of working does feel quite childish, as does finger painting, it is still a fun and creative way to put images together.

Finger Printing




Working in this way didnt feel like I was really trying to achieve anything. The finger print itself is an interesting image, but trying to make an image from fingerprints is less like a print technique.

Rubbings

Although this doesn't have the word print in it, I described printing earlier such as mono, potato and lino being an image, in which you build or take away bits of a surface to imprint an image...rubbings seemed to apply, closely relating to mono-print. This was a quick way of getting image and information from things around me. Some look good to draw from!... or good to create pattern from!

These are also, something described as print, by having a photocopy and rubbing nail varnish over the back the image is transferred to the paper beneath it...

Working in these ways almost feels like you print to FIND images?
I hope to add some other easy ways of printing around the house as my project develops.

No comments: