Saturday 17 October 2009

Design.

Today I thought about how the textiles had inspired Metford Warner (from one of the rooms in Temple Newsam) and how he designed pattern and wallpapers based on many textiles he collected. 
With this in mind today I went out and picked up a couple of fabrics I found in charity shops. I'm starting to design my own wallpaper whilst experimenting with print techniques. 






As a result many of the fragments in the cabinet at Temple Newsam have especially interesting or unusual pattern. The textiles range from the 17th century to the early 20th centuries. These are silks, cottons, linens, and embroided pieces. All which together provide an insight into devlopments in pattern design and manufacture.
A possibility and design idea I've had has come from looking at Clare Coles work, and so I' ve now decided one of the wallpapers I want to design is a mix of paper, fabrics and stitch.


No comments: